Tuesday, June 24, 2008

"In Loco Parentis"

Isn't it touching that I can be more than forty years old and Phi Kappa Phi, the National Honor Society, decides that I'm still not quite old enough to make decisions about my own health insurance so they go over my head to talk to my parents? I guess I should just be glad they care.

I must admit that I'm a little embarrassed about belonging to the organization at all (it's a long story about how I came to be a member but suffice it to say it would have been impolite for me to decline the invitation). It calls to mind Groucho Marx's old line about not wanting to belong to any club that would have him for a member. But it's not like they're as selective as they'd like to make you think. I attended the opening banquet and it was packed with literally thousands of students who had shelled out something like 50 bucks for that line on their resumé, along with a handful of professors who, I presume, were there for the warm Sprite and the cold chicken.

No comments:

Post a Comment