Sunday, June 8, 2008

Monday Poem--"Opening the Books"

And I saw the dead, small and great, stand before God; and the books were opened, which is the book of life: and the dead were judged out of those things which were written in the books … (Revelation 20:12)


When the final trumpet sounds,
when the graves yield up their dead,
when almighty Jehovah himself appears
in majesty and splendor,
I wonder what would happen
if He could find no book for you,
just a glossy magazine,
mostly ads,
recipes for holiday leftovers,
tummy-tightening exercises,
and tips for driving your man
wild in bed.

I smile at the thought
and then, with a glow of slow gratitude,
I realize that my own book of life
is no book either
just a perforated insert card
for your magazine,
an advertisement for your advertisements.

Perhaps, I think,
when the final echo
of the final trumpet blast
has faded away
we'll still be together
on a coffee table
of a waiting room
in the clean and quiet office
of the great God
of Heaven and Earth.

No comments:

Post a Comment