Thursday, January 1, 2009

It's Probably Good There's No Sound

Here's some super-8 footage that I recently saw for the first time in, oh, thirty-five years or so. My aunt and uncle's wedding reception in 1972 featured a number of talent-show acts: lots of singing and dancing relatives. So, here's my dad and I dressed up in Basque costumes singing an old folk song, "Jeiki, jeiki." If memory serves, and as the visual evidence would suggest, I was petrified with fear. We were followed by some cousins that actually were talented: they belonged to the Boise Oinkari dance group. Feel free to remix with the soundtrack of your choice.



Later in the evening, my aunt and uncle performed a Jewish folk dance (they had both been in folk dance groups in college). I was only five at the time, but I had always dimly remembered this. Watching it again, so shortly after my uncle passed away, has only made it more poignant.


No comments:

Post a Comment