Monday, March 10, 2008

Alex and Dad's Excellent Mexican Adventure


Okay, so this post will wreak havoc with chronology. But you remember Last Year in Marienbad, right? To quote Woody Allen, "Yeah, I get it. It's all flashbacks." Alex and I went to Mexico in mid-January of this year. The reason was pretty simple: I had to use an airline ticket by the end of the month and it wasn't too expensive to get another ticket for Alex. We kept pretty busy for a week. We arrived on Sunday, January 20 and the next day we headed to Teotihuacán, where we got our fair share of exercise climbing up and down the pyramids, a sunburn, and some nice pictures.

The rest of the week was spent museum-hopping in Mexico City, with a brief detour to Tlaxcala, a small city an hour and a half away from DF, where a few years back I had given week-long courses on several occasions at the local university.

It had been several years since I had been in Mexico and I had forgotten how completely US chain stores and restaurants have penetrated Mexican culture. I'm not too ashamed to admit that we took advantage of them a few times. But a real highlight had to be the massive Iron Maiden advertisement. It took me a while to realize they're for shoes (how much, you may ask? 510 pesos, or about $50. A bit too rich for my blood). Pre-modern, modern, post-modern, capitalist, post-capitalist. Whatever. We had fun.

No comments:

Post a Comment