Wednesday, April 16, 2008

April is the Coolest Month...

... at least for poetry. Michelle has spearheaded poetry month activities at the kids' school, including training teachers, preparing lesson materials for them, and encouraging the school to get every student and staff member to memorize at least one poem by month's end. We're all memorizing poems of our own. I'm working on Yeats' "The Second Coming," which is actually bit of a cheat, since I used to have it memorized about ten years ago. I had started out memorizing Yeats' "A Prayer for My Daughter," but at 80 lines, it was too long and I was too wimpy. Then I moved on to his "The Happy Shepherd," all 57 lines of it. Ditto. So, here I am with "The Second Coming," which in addition to being a weird theosophical poem, has the virtue of being only 22 lines long. Alex is memorizing Walt Whitman's "O Captain, my Captain;" Simon memorized "Harriet Tubman" by Eloise Greenfield, and Eva has memorized "Happy Thoughts" by Robert Louis Stevenson. Not to be outdone by her progeny, Michelle is working on "I Wandered Lonely as a Cloud" by Wordsworth.

I had forgotten until recently that we had videotaped Alex back in 2005, reciting Frost's "Stopping by Woods on a Snowy Evening." Enjoy.

No comments:

Post a Comment